Lineman's Gloves Technical Information
Lineman's gloves are made of highly dielectric, strong, insulated rubber and must be worn with leather protectors.
ASTM (American Society for Testing and Material) has established strict guidelines that must be followed to ensure this product is performing within standards:
- Gloves have a twelve month shelf life from the initial certification date stamped on the glove or case and can be used for six months. After six months of use, the gloves must be removed from service and recertified at an authorized safety equipment testing facility. Any glove not put in service within the 12 month shelf life must be recertified before it can be placed in service. After recertification, the twelve month shelf life starts again.
- OSHA 1910.137 - Must be electrically tested before put in service and removed from service after 6 months use and recertified before being put back in use.
- OSHA 1910.268 (Telecom) - Natural rubber insulated gloves must be electrically tested before first issue, twelve months after first issue and every nine months thereafter.
When Lineman's gloves are put into service, usage must be recorded; and before each use a visual inspection is required by the user. Visual inspection consists of looking for any defects in the glove which would compromise the gloves integrity (ability to provide the electrical insulation properties designed for the glove) such as but not limited to cuts, tears, abrasions (thin spots) as well as inflating the gloves to check for holes and rolling the gloves between fingers to check for ozone or UV cracking. Leather protectors must also be inspected for damage or defects.
Wear and Care
- Clean hands before use
- Do not wear rings or bracelets or other metallic objects which could conduct electricity
- Wear leather protectors that fit properly over the rubber insulating gloves
- Thin liners may be worn under rubber gloves to absorb perspiration or provide warmth in cold weather
- Wash in warm water with mild detergent
- Disinfect with a small amount of chlorine bleach
- Air or tumble dry at low heat
- Must be stored in a cool dry place, away from ozone and UV light
- Gloves and leather protectors must be stored separately in protective bags, fingers up, hung, not laid flat
Please enter a search value